Friday, February 11, 2011

Fuck.That.Noise.

First off: introductions.

My name is Katie.  I've been blogging for years, but have been doing so without much purpose.  You know the blog, young person talks about daily life in a mildly humorous manner, friends read, some folks even comment.  The thing is, when a blog is entirely personal (that is, a semi-daily journal), it can become difficult to write about real things.  You know, like things that go beyond "today I missed the bus and then my cat SHIT ON THE FLOOR".  Those things have their place and they'll certainly creep on into this blog as well.  The thing is, there is so much that I want to write about that just doesn't *fit* anywhere.

What will I be writing about? Well, still not entirely clear.  This blog will be 100% fat positive, that's for damn sure.  In much of my life, I feel the need to censor myself, to not disturb the flow of conversation and the comfort of familiar relationships.  But sometimes? Sometimes I want to say more.  Sometimes I want to yell. Sometimes I want to take a friend by the shoulders, shake them, and scream "YOU DON'T NEED TO HATE YOURSELF".  This self-loathing is part of our experience, our shared existence.  Women in particular are told that there is an ideal and if you don't fit that ideal, you don't fit anywhere.  Even people who recognize that this ideal is sheer bullshit tend to make self deprecating comments ("I know I shouldn't wear these jeans, but..."), or worse, hurtful and unnecessary comments about others ("Did you see that shirt she was wearing?").  Then there are the comments directed right at me.  You know the lines, the lines that exist to make other people more comfortable with you.  Lines like "You're not THAT fat" and "But you still look good!" and "It's fine for you to be fat, but I need to be x, y, z".  To all of this I say Fuck.That.Noise.  You are who you are and your worth is not defined by your weight, the size of your jeans, or even the fucking length of your goddamn toenails.  I don't want you to tell me what you had for lunch, what you're going to have for dinner, how many kilometers you walked, or what new fucking diet you are on.  I want you to tell me about you.  I want you to be happy, to love yourself, and to GET THE FUCK OVER IT.

I'm going to end this rant there because there is so much more to say.  Suffice it to say that topics related to fat positivity, body love, fatphobia, and sizeism will be discussed here on a regular basis.  Other topics that might crop up include: gender, sexuality, my cat, feminism (gasp! the other F word!), heterosexism, and possibly a sprinkling of book/article reviews. Oh, and cupcakes.

1 comment:

  1. Good. I need this. We ALL need this.

    Btw, you're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete